Dermatological Services - Skin Care Tips
Having healthy looking skin is not just a cosmetic concern. When skin looks healthy, that's generally because it is healthy. Here are Dr. Paltiel’s Top 5 Tips for Healthy Skin:
- Protect your skin from the harmful effects of sun exposure. Avoid being out during peak sun times, wear a hat, wear sunglasses, and be generous with moisturizers with an SPF of 30 or higher on exposed areas on daily basis. If going to the beach or spending a lot of time outdoors, use a sunscreen with broad and long lasting UV protection with SPF 55 or greater and be sure to reapply every 2 hours.
- Check your body regularly for any new or changing moles or other growths. As with most medical problems, these are best diagnosed and treated sooner rather than later.
- Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! Applying moisturizer after a warm shower is particularly beneficial, but a good rule of thumb is to moisturize your face after each cleansing (ideally, morning and night). Drinking 6 to 8 glasses of water per day will help keep your skin moist and supple, and less likely to wrinkle.
- Exercise is also good for your whole body, but particularly for your skin. Exercise can help increase skin tone and maintain elasticity. Exercise can also increase the blood flow to your skin and give it a healthy look.
- Stay away from excessive alcohol, smoking, fatigue and stress. Not only can these factors lead to premature aging; they also decrease facial circulation making you look older.